Soon after finishing v1, I decided to crank up the difficulty and make a six stage one. The premise of the design was to basically replicate the electronics of v1 but across six stages instead of just one. There’s some photodiodes right before each coil to determine when to fire each one. An Arduino served to read sensors and control each coil. I also added a strobe flashlight to the front of it. Here’s a bunch of pictures.
Just for fun, I also decided to try to measure the speed of the projectile. I attached two photodiode pairs to the ends of an acrylic tube. I shot myself in the process, but got a rough estimate of 60mph. Here’s some videos of me shooting the coil gun.