a.k.a. How To Get Rejected From MIT, CalTech, and Stanford.
This is actually going to be a half-joking but totally true retelling of how I got into UC Berkeley.
- Go to Troy High School.
- Only have one extracurricular: Science Olympiad. Literally put all of your free time into this extracurricular.
- Put off college apps until the last minute, a.k.a. Thanksgiving break, but only because you were working on SciOly.
- Spend 4 hours on the UC app, literally.
- Spend 1 hour proofreading, but not changing anything.
- Submit and wait for acceptance letters. Go back to working on SciOly in the meantime.
- Make sure you apply for EECS.
- Get accepted early with a Regents interview.
- Fail the interview, from my point of view.
- Still get Regents. Profit.
- Watch all your friends get into Ivy Leagues and private schools, but realizing UC Berkeley, #1 Public University, is better than all of them.
Real talk: UC Berkeley was my safety, but it ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me. For real this is an incredible school. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. The people, the culture, just everything, it’s all amazing. In all honesty, I did spend over a week on each of my private school apps but didn’t get in. Sometimes life just has a funny way of placing you where you’re meant to be. Just follow your passion and keep doing what you love to do and everything will work out.
Click here for a pdf of my UC essays.